- 1986 - Kirkwood United Methodist Church, due to the close proximity to the Glasgow area, agrees to participate in helping establish a new congregation.
- 1988 - In cooperation with the Methodist Action Program, the Conference Education Consultant, local churches and the Sunday School Staff of the Kirkwood Church, the Glasgow Outpost Sunday School is established at the Hodgson Vocational High School. Kirkwood’s early morning worship service is moved to Hodgson Vocational High School.
- 1980’s - A renewed effort begins to organize a United Methodist Church in the rapidly growing Glasgow area.
- 1989 - A six acre building site is purchased on Rt. 896, 2.2 miles south of Rt. 40 in Bear, Delaware. Kirkwood United Methodist Church building and parsonage is sold to St. Mary’s Coptic Orthodox Church of Delaware.
- 1990 - The name for the new congregation is chosen: “Cornerstone.” The Kirkwood Church and the Glasgow Outpost Sunday School come together to officially organize the Cornerstone United Methodist Church. Construction for the new church building begins.
- 1991 - The Cornerstone Church building is consecrated.
- 1996 - The Cornerstone Early Education and Youth Center, Inc. opens its doors.
- 1997 - The governing body of Cornerstone is reorganized with the consecration of Cornerstone’s first Church Council of Lay Elders. Cornerstone renews it’s emphasis on reaching the unchurched including reformatting its weekend worship services.
1998 - The South Wing Addition, including classrooms and recreation area, is completed.
- 2001 - Cornerstone helps birth a new worshipping congregation in the Middletown, Delaware. Forty adults and children are sent to start Connections Community Church.
- 2005 - A new 700 seat Celebration Room is completed. The former worship area is renovated to include a prayer room, baptismal pool, café area, bookstore and gathering area.
- 2010 - 25 acres of land, adjacent to the current church property, is purchased.
- God willing more to come…
Pictures of Cornerstone through the years.